Random Facts (1/19) - Nobody knew what a water chestnut was until we wrapped it in bacon.
Child's Play 2007

Nov 15, 2007

What are your priorities?

Winnie

Priorities are going to be a series of posts where I point out flaws that I see, and things that need to change. Please freely express your ideas and comments.

Since I attend school away from home, I rarely get a chance to know what goes on in the outside world. College dorm life is pretty much living in a bubble of campus atmosphere. Occassionally, I like to burst this bubble (and procrastinate from studying) when I decide to go to the world wide web and read some news. You might ask, well you have a tv don't you? Sure I do, but when you're a science student you're pretty much reading your book most of the time than watching tv. In any case, I went to www.ny1.com for my hometown news. The top story: Yankees And A-Rod Reportedly Close To Deal. Please imagine me doing this: ...-_-?? Great, that's the top story that everyone is very concerned about? Don't get me wrong, if you love sports good for you. But sports is not something that is do or die, unless you're a sports gambler and please stop gambling. I read on for further stories: Fire Rips Through Lower Manhattan Skyscraper. Now why is this story not the top story? Why is the preference of sports over a skyscraper? In fact, why isn't there a top story of a missing child that needs to be found, or an emphasis of a robbery or murder happening in your next zip code? I mean, are you going to worry about sports when you should have paid more attention to the picture of a robber who is standing behind you on line for a morning coffee?


5 comments:

Gerry said...

It really is a sad state of affairs when people are more worried about "insert sports star here" instead of the more important things. Especially ridiculous when it's above one about a fire...

helen said...

Unfortunately, this is how things are done.

Our human psyche associates such tragedies as if they are our own. Poor this, poor that--won't give us enough minutes of the day to realize how wonderful life can be. As an example, the sports news appeared to be bigger news than fires or murderers or rapes.

Always relinquishing such sad news to the fellow common people will only bring a state of fear and we don't want that now, do we? How is this country, let alone your own life, going to run if you're always afraid only bad things happen?

This is why the propaganda chooses what they want to show--therefore, propaganda.

Now, let's read about how Pokemon is back!!!! That should bring us back to our happy state...yaay happy times!!!

Pokemon, gotta catch'em all!! Squirrtle, I choose you!

Who do you choose?!

Gerry said...

Missing No. I choose you!

Bet you don't know which one that is.

Phil said...

I liek Mudkipz.

Also, I appreciate how quickly the comments here derailed from the topic at hand. Bravo Helen.

helen said...

Proves my point! YAAAY POKEMON!!